Thursday, May 18, 2017

The great pump quest

My new raw water pump is well traveled.  I am now on a first name basis with the Nassau DHL agent.  She found my pump, and had it delivered to the DHL agent in Rock Sound, Eleuthera.  Rock Sound is about 60 miles south of Spanish Wells, and yesterday (Wednesday) we took the trip to retrieve the wayward pump.  First we had to take a ferry from Spanish Wells to North Eleuthera.  From the ferry landing a short cab ride to the North Eleuthera Airport, where we rented a slightly used car from Fine Threads aka Freddie (the marina people had arranged this for me, and Freddie was accommodating).  I was the only American at the airport trying to find Fine Threads (thinking it is a rental car booth), and come to find out Fine Threads (Freddie) works out of his van which is normally in the parking lot (a nice customs lady took pity on me and pointed me in the right direction, and come to find out she is Freddie’s wife).  Anyway, we rented the car (no contract, he just gave me the keys) and we started the 60 mile journey south.  The road is a paved two lane (mostly) road, with many potholes.  Just like home!  They drive on the left here, and when you meet oncoming traffic, it is a game of chicken, which we mostly lost by driving onto the non-existent shoulder.  I say we as both Alexis and I were driving, I just happened to be behind the wheel (Ken-you know what I am talking about…).  About half way down, we stopped for lunch at French Leave a very nice resort.  Alexis had several glasses of Nana’s juice (white wine) and the second ½ of the drive was more pleasant. 

We arrived at Rock Sound and went to Dingle’s gas station, bar and grill, which is also the DHL office and low and behold, the pump was there!  Hooray.

Back on Serenity, we were invited by the boat next door for drinks and potluck dinner.  There are two boats traveling together, both from Florida’s west coast.  One couple’s son owns a business in Morgan City, and the other we discovered are my distant cousins on the Pope side of the family tree.  Small world.  After a pleasant dinner we crashed, knowing we had to tackle installing the pump the next morning.  Well the pump did not come with all the parts (two O-rings and an oil injection gland), so I called On Site Marine, my other Houma connection, who had fixed my watermaker hose.  Mark from On Site showed up and is installing the pump as we speak.  Come to find out Mark has a niece that lives in Houma, married to a Coast Guardsman stationed there.  A small world indeed.
Assuming I can start my engines, it looks like the winds will be down tomorrow and we will make the short hop to the Exumas, where Claiborne and family will join us in a week.  Stay tuned! 

There are very few bridges in the Bahamas, but the ferry service is dependable and cheap.

These guys have a cottage industry moving vehicles from Spanish Wells to Eleuthera. 

Wait, the steering wheel is on the wrong side!

The Glass Window bridge-Atlantic on one side Caribbean the other.  





Entrance to French Leave resort.


French Leave dinghy dock.

The waterpump!

The new pump.

Naturally, the pump is on the outboard side of the engine, with very little space to work.  



No comments:

Post a Comment