Friday, May 17, 2024

The good, bad and ugly of boating!



 Ah, the boating life!  Most of the time it is great, but there will be not-so-great times as well.  We had ours leaving Charleston.  I had planned to run offshore to our next stop, Georgetown, SC, but the waves were up from T-storms, so we elected to take the ICW.  Mistake.  We grounded in the infamous Isle of Palm area.  I managed to get off and proceeded to Georgetown, but we were taking on water.  The bilge pumps kept up, but I had obviously damaged the starboard rudder, hence the leak.  It was obvious I needed a haul out, but no worries as Georgetown had a yard with a travel lift.  But wait!  When I called bright and early the next morning, the owner told me he had no labor force, so while he could haul me, he could not fix the boat.  Fortunately, we were told about a new shipyard just opened in Myrtle Beach.  They could take us!  So, leaking all the way, we went to Myrtle Beach for repairs.    We were going to fly home out of Myrtle Beach anyway for Memorial Day weekend, so it all works. 

But not to worry, we did have good times.  The stop in Charleston was wonderful, and we got to have time with my cousins.  Here are some pics:



At Gayle's house. 
Gayle and Scott on the boat.  



On the way to Myrtle Beach. 

Fort Sumpter, where the Civil War started.  
Charleston.
The Charleston City Marina is huge. 

These are the two pump out boats at the marina-check out the names...


Perfect Fit on the travel lift.  


Talk about a bent rudder!  

No comments:

Post a Comment