Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Black Point, taunting Frenchmen and a whale of a story.

The town of Black Point bills itself as the largest settlement on the Exumas north of Georgetown.  It supplies the labor force to Staniel Cay and some other island resorts.  It has no marina, but a good anchorage that is protected from all but (you guessed it) a west wind.  It caters to boaters and boasts the largest Laundromat with a dinghy dock and free Wi-Fi!  It has two restaurants, a health clinic, produce market (only bell peppers and tomatoes when I checked) and Scorpio’s bar. The locals travel to the other cays by boat, and fly through the anchorage at night with no running lights.  It is best that you have a bright anchor light!
I discovered the laundry while walking through town.  There were a bunch of French people sitting in the place, and I polity inquired why and was rather acerbically told about the free Wi-Fi.  Why do you think we sit in here with no machines running!  It was like the scene of the taunting Frenchmen from Spamalot!  In my best Cajun French I called them coullions and left.  I will go back later and act superior when I face time the grandkids….
I have put is some hard work.  A Canadian couple on the Retired Sailor, a beautiful custom cruiser, needed a notary for a real estate transaction back home.  After conferring with their Canadian attorney, I did the deed, and was treated to a lobster dinner!

There are several guys single handling their boats (mostly sailors).  I have been adopted by the group while Alexis is away, but have been type cast, so maybe the French didn’t know I am really a normal guy….

Sunrise at anchor.

Trolling in the dink.


Self portrait.  

Click on this pic and see if you can spot the whale that surfaced in front of me!  Made the dink feel real small...

Dinghy dock and anchorage.



Lorraine's Cafe.  She has one of the few TVs and is double booked for the Super Bowl.


5 comments:

  1. we are coveting your dinghy; what kind is it and do you like it. Can you send a full picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a Rigid Boat made in Ft Myers, FL. It is the 12' model, and we love it.

      Delete
  2. I'm proud of you for calling them couillons -
    also forgot to mention that I hope the pig was friendly cause he was tres ugly.
    Nice you got to see a whale - you are like an Ernest Hemingway character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was friendly only because I gave him my snacks. He was quite perturbed when I didn't have food ready, and his friend were making for the water.....

      Delete
  3. If things get rough give 'em a Maudit Couillion, like your buddy's boat. Sounds like a great time, I'm green with envy! I hope Alexis'
    Dad is doing better.

    ReplyDelete